Saturday, October 27, 2007

30 seconds of no fun at all

Tonight Rubens was choking on a mouth full of rice cake and camembert cheese, and I mean seriously choking. The whole thing took about 30 seconds, but that was 30 seconds of no fun at all.

He was hanging around my legs and I was cooking him dinner, it was later than usual and he was mega hungry so I was feeding him chunks of food as I went... he was wolfing his pre-dinner treats down, when I look down and he has tears pouring down his cheeks and was trying to get a breath opening his mouth like a fish. So I wacked him on the back twice, he coughed, I clawed stuff out of his mouth (he did to) then starts breathing properly. I dont think his airway was completely blocked but...

I was shivery all over afterwards. Afterwards he got a treat of playing in the sink and making a huge water and bubble messy.

I looked this up afterwards

Step 1
- Determine if the infant can cry or cough. If not, proceed to the next step.

Step 2
- Give 5 back blows.

Step 3
- Give 5 chest thrusts.

Step 4
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 above until effective or the infant becomes unconscious. If the infant become unresponsive perform CPR, if you see an object in the throat or mouth remove it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home